I recently had a little discussion about an image retouching job and exchange of a PSD (photoshop source file), that’s why I decided to post this. So when working on projects and in groups, you should set common rules or guidelines for source files. I’ll give you an example for the case of photography, because that’s what I mainly am working on.
Example rules for a team:
- import raw files without editing it
- edit non-destructive
- make copies of layers if you can’t apply an adjustment non destructively
- name layers so your group understands them without any doubt what happened in this step of workflow
- create layer groups for already correctly aligned elements or elements of same type
- export on compatibility mode for the least recent version of Photoshop used by anyone used on the project
- don’t crop the image, used guides and slices
Define these rules when you start the project and make clear to everybody, that it’s their responsibility to follow these and if they don’t, they might put either deadline or quality at risk.