Geronimo89.dk

A blog about me, my doings and everything I think deserves attention.

Caching on One.com

Since I’m regularly digging in projects or trying to figure out what is wrong with other peoples web-sites when I get a call for help, I come across strange things. One of the most well known hosting companies in Denmark, One.com caches files. Problems that arise by this, is that what the user uploads. Possible errors of that are obviously:

• no visible update of files, change of look
  • malfunctioning web projects, depending different caching updates

I recently talked to the support about it (to disable this annoying B‘∫S”#£) and here are the cold facts:

• Caching lasts about 30 minutes (far too long if you’re actively developing a wordpress theme or similar)
  • Caching was introduced less than a year ago (2010/2011)
  • Caching can be disabled by domains, not only for whole servers by contacting the support
I find it quite barefaced that, without telling the users in big black letters such as YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE ANY CHANGE IN THE NEXT 30 MINUTES in an FTP message, to enable this feature. Well, they’re still cheap and have good uptimes, but this…? I’ll gladly stick to my VPS icon smile Caching on One.com
Now for the danish googlers a couple of possible queries:

Kan ikke uploade til one.com

Kan ikke uploade til one.com med ftp

Kan ikke opdatere på one.com

FTP virker ikke på one.com

7 comments already

7 Responses to “Caching on One.com”

1. Lennart K. says:

I never had such problems, but I still want to switch provider. The features are quite basic and the speed is not the best.
    I heard a lot of good things about domainfactory. I read through the features they offer and it sounds really nice sftp encrypted imap and all that stuff. Unfortunally I heard of them a few days after I payed my yearly fee to one.com

Lennart

2. CZ says:

Wow, thanks for clarifying this.

This caching thing has bugged me since I started a project in late August. I had no idea what the problem was. Been experimenting with HTTP headers, meta tags etc. etc. and nothing seemed to work.

Good to know it’s not my coding skills that are bad!

3. Magnus says:

Thanks a lot for this info.
    Had no freaking idea why my design kept messing up. It was driving me crazy.
    Just some additional info I got from chatting with their livesupport. At first the person told me that they could only deduct the delay with about 30sec or 1 min. I told them that that was unacceptable, and I wanted the caching disabled completely. Then the person told me to create an ‘.htaccess’ file with the content ‘header add “disablevcache” “true”‘, and place it the root folder. It’s gonna take about 30min for that change to take effect too. Fingers crossed.

4. Daniel says:

I also have these issues with one.com, and it’s fucking annoying!

I, myself, have domains with unoeuro.com and I have never had any issues with them. And when I have had any questions their support is fast and effective.

So yeah what I wanted to say is, is: I can highly recommend unoeuro.com

5. greyhat says:

It’s an absolute joke!

6. Cos says:

I just found this out because I was having problems all week – working on a wordpress site – REALLY pissed me off when I found out that the whole weeks work was a total waste of time because of these %&/#s

7. Helt enig med forfatteren.
    Det er simpelthen for dårligt, at one.com har indført en betydelig forsinkelse i opdateringen af filer på http adresser UDEN at informere kunderne om dette.
    Det er forholdvis nemt at rette .htaccess, men dette burde IKKE være nødvendigt. Få dog rettet den default værdi, så man ikke skal ind og ændre på hvert enkelt website.